Sunday, December 4, 2022

Science Centres + Nature Tables for Preschool

The Value of a Science Centre for Preschool 

This Blog is a Work in Progress! But I'm so excited I've just had to publish it now as it is ... There will be images and inspo and ideas and links to resources coming soon! 


Children are natural scientists, and they are keen to explore the world around them. 

The humble science center in an early childhood service is so much more than just a spot you plonk some science stuff.  A true science center will intrigue and inspire children's curiosity and learning. It's a space that will be inherently interesting and be an invitation to learn offering children many opportunities to investigate, explore, discover, and use all of their senses to learn about the world around them. 

" Curriculum should include activities that encourage children to use their five senses to observe, explore, and experiment with scientific phenomena. Include simple tools in your science learning center so that preschoolers and kindergartners can observe objects and scientific phenomena. Provide experiences and materials that allow children to collect data and to represent and document their findings (e.g., through drawing or graphing). Teachers should plan activities and provide experiences that encourage children to think, question, and reason about observed and inferred phenomena. (2018, p. 27)"
National Association for the Education of Young Children. (2018). NAEYC early learning program accreditation standards and assessment items.

Links to the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF)

Early Years Learning Framework - Learning Outcome 4: Children Are Confident and Involved Learners: 4.1 Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity.

The Vision of a Preschool Science Centre + Nature Table for my Classroom

I have always incorporated nature and nature exploration as part of my curriculum in early childhood settings, however in 2015 I started setting up designated tables and spaces in my classrooms. This aligns with both the philosophies of Waldorf-inspired approach and the Montessori-inspired approach. 

Setting the Scene of our Science Centre

If you lack the space for a designated learning corner or table you can have collections of gathered seasonal treasures in a box or basket or even a tray. I had one student many moons ago who loved collecting rocks and "coconuts". The "coconuts" were seed pods and he'd carry them home at the end of each day with dedication. His family popped his treasures into a box which would have its contents siphoned43 off from time to time - the never-ending collection! 

As I prepare myself for a year in preschool, I am thinking about my science centre and nature table that I cannot wait to create for and with the students! As I sit here and visualise I'm seeing some sweet retro shelves that I've salvaged from the side of the road or from op-shops. I can't wait to have an excuse to hit the opshops. 

So anyway, back to the wooden shelves ... I'll have tubs or baskets with discovery bottles, magnifying glasses, natural treasures and loose parts. I can bring in a few of my own baskets and my collection of science and information books. I can't decide if I'll have a big noticeboard with the table, or if I'll have it looking out a window. The bonus to using the notice board, is we can add diagrams and images and explore documentation 

When I started wriging this blog, I was brushing my tangled way-too-long hair and researching. I found some fabulous blogs and pages and I thought they're too good not to share! So rather than just bookmark them or jot down some ideas for my own space, I thought why not add them to this article in a "further reading" section! So I hope you enjoy! 

Resourcing the Space 

  • Discovery bottles 
  • magnifying glasses 
  • natural and botanical loose parts 
  • terrariums 
  • photo cards 
  • crystals, rocks, gems 
  • growing plants in water such as spider plant, onions, Swedish ivy 
  • life cycle figurines 
  • life cycle posters and signs 
  • vocabulary cards 
  • science and reference books  
  • colour lenses 
  • metal and magnets
  • sensory materials ot touch + smell 
  • tweezers, sorting trays, tongs 
  • scales, rules, measuring tapes
  • bug catchers, aquariums

- GiGi 

References + Further Reading 

Nature Table Printables & Set Up - East TN Family Fun 

Nature Exploration Table - The Imagination Tree 

Nature Trays and Nature Tables (livingmontessorinow.com) 

Nature table in Montessori classes — The Wonderful World of Montessori (wonderfulmontessori.com) 

Science at the center: Meaningful science learning in a preschool classroom - Raven - Journal of Research in Science Teaching - Wiley Online Library 

How to set up the Science Center in your Early Childhood Classroom - Pocket of Preschool 


Seasonal Nature Tables

Nature Table: The Seasonal Table (thehomeschoolmom.com)

How to make a spring nature table - NurtureStore 

How to make an autumn nature table with free printables - NurtureStore 

Fall Nature Table for Preschoolers » Share & Remember | Celebrating Child & Home (thingstoshareandremember.com) 

Nature Table Printables & Set Up - East TN Family Fun


Australian Sources 

How to Create a Seasonal Nature Table Yarra Ranges Council 

Australian Nature Table (aunaturetable.blogspot.com) 


Science Centre

Science Center Set Up and Ideas for Preschool (pre-kpages.com)

Preschool Science Center Ideas - Little Bins for Little Hands 

No comments:

Post a Comment