Friday, January 7, 2011

Introduction to Teacher's Ink Portfolios



This is not a “How To” publication. This is more of a “How I Did It” publication... I’m hoping to be an encouragement to other practitioners so that they feel inspired to share their practices with others. It is so important that we network and learn from each other.  This publication has evolved from my role as mentor and leader. I have been mentoring a series of my work colleagues who hold both diplomas and certificates in child care and education. I have also been supporting past colleagues who have since moved on to other places of employment but who maintain friendships with me. You can’t help but talk about your profession and career can you?

I have asked my fellow professionals if they have had any success searching on the internet and they’ve said no.  I have searched on the internet under many topics and still come up with sparse results on portfolios. As I am writing this, I have been unable to source a great deal that is relevant to the early childhood context in Australia.

Sure, there are plenty of books, publications, chapters in books etc. and there is even less content that is detailed and accessible on the internet. The more I look, the more I see very culturally exclusive or image heavy flashy websites and books that make amazing promises about their special curriculum product or assessment tool which is the only one that will truly prepare your children for school and for life. Get lost. There is no “one” way of doing anything.

I don’t have all the answers and I shouldn’t. I only have some of the answers that are right for me at this point in time, and they might be right for you too. If not, take them and improve upon them or change them and do something different that works for you in your context. I am simply sharing my style, experience, and philosophy of the portfolio.  The more I engage with my current work colleagues and friends, the more I see a need for something. Now my style of “something” won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, and that is perfectly ok. If I can reach some of the many educators out there, I will be happy. If someone looks at my efforts and thinks they are capable of different or more or better and they are the motivated to then share their brilliance, then I’m a happy educator.

2 comments:

  1. "Get lost". Nice one. Too right, there is no one 'right' way. There's enough standardisation and depersonalisation in formal schooling without imposing it on the little ones as well.

    Congratulations and thank you: this kind of opportunity to network and share ideas is sorely needed in the field. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There's enough standardisation and depersonalisation in formal schooling without imposing it on the little ones as well."

    You've put it beautifully! And thank you for your comments ~ Apologies that it took me a month ... I greatly appreciate it :) I'm planning on making some time to add to this! Work and some unforseen personal stuff get in the way!

    ReplyDelete