Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Round Three: Toddler Room Team Leader

The most growth I experienced in regards to portfolios happened in this job. This job ended up being the job from hell, but I learned a great deal and there were amazing supports in place. I also formed a really good relationship with the other ECT room leader and together we forged the portfolio frontier at this particular service.

I worked in a long day care service in a toddler’s room with 13 children aged 2-3 years old with a certificate III trained assistant. My team partner was not comfortable with managing portfolios, so the task of looking after the content of about 32 books fell to me. She did in time though develop excellent skills in helping me file the content and put them into the books. It was invaluable support.

I had 30 minutes of programming time per child per month and then a further hour per week for program reflections. It worked out to be about 3 hours one week and 5 hours the next based upon my shifts (early shift = 7am start and late shift = 10am start).

In subsequent drafts of this publication, I wrote a pretty scathing description of the portfolios. Since I have started writing this book, I have come to realise that some people do their best and others don’t care. There is no reason to pass judgement on their work. This publication is not about their work. It’s about my work and my thinking and my learning and growth. So having said that, I grew professionally because I was able to critique their work and improve upon it. I will simply say that much of their work was handwritten with photos that didn’t necessarily match up with the written work. There was no linking to development or any curriculum framework. There were a great many gaps in their work in my opinion.

We used A4 art diaries and we had to paste the content into the books. It meant we had to cut all A4 sized papers down with a margin so that they would fit into the books. It was quite time consuming and with 32 books to maintain, it was ALOT of time during sleep time and other quiet times during the day putting content into books.  This cutting and sticking, was a colossal waste of time and natural resources.

Each page of paper in an art book, had another page stuck to it. One page of content would consist of: slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided sticky tape and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing. Then line up page and stick down. All this work for ONE single observation.

So, if you had five entries over a month: (1) slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing. (2) slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing. (3) slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing. (4) slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing.  (5) slice, slice, slice, slice, pull double sided and rip, then stick, rip, stick rip, stick rip, stick rip. Peel backing, peel backing, peel backing, peel backing. That is in one book ... Image that for 32 children who had a range of two to seven entries per month. I don’t know how I made it through all that work on top of the actual creation of the observations and collections of artefacts!

It was at this time that I became really passionate about working with portfolios and when I wanted to work on a book with my colleague. Suffice it to say, I’m now doing this on my own, but ideas sprang from shared discussions and research. If we had written a book at this time, it would look totally different to the one I am now working on. My understanding, experience, skills, philosophy have changed so much in the past 2 years, as they will in the next 2 years I would imagine! Carpe Diem though ...

No comments:

Post a Comment